What is Codependency?
- Do you regularly sacrifice your own needs in a relationship to meet your partner’s needs?
- Do you wind up feeling angry, resentful, unappreciated, depressed, or anxious because your relationship is so unbalanced?
- Do you stay in unhealthy relationships far too long and don’t know why?
- Do you tend to be a people-pleaser?
- Do you sometimes feel alone and unworthy?
- Are you very comfortable in the “caretaker” role with friends, family, your partner and feel overly responsible for other’s problems?
- Do you struggle with letting people help you?
- Do you struggle setting boundaries with others?
People with codependency traits sometimes grew up in families like this:
- As a child, you often “parented” your parents and had way too much responsibility
- People in your family took advantage of your kindness
- Your home was chaotic or toxic due to an abusive, narcissistic or substance addicted parent
- Your parents or caregivers were highly judgmental, critical, inattentive, blaming, or manipulative
- Your family expressed their emotions directly and harshly, passive-aggressively, or not at all
- Family members made you feel selfish if you took care of your own needs or desires
Codependency is a strategy we learn as children to deal with these life stressors. Without help, we may continue to feel burdened, lack self-love, and in a lot of pain in many of our relationships into adulthood.
I enjoy helping clients understand and have compassion for these traits in themselves, so that they can transform them into healthy and empowered choices. Through our work together, you can create more balanced, rewarding and successful relationships in your life.
If the above issues sound familiar to you, take the first step towards getting support by scheduling an appointment with me today. Give me a call at 503-954-4852 or click here to schedule an appointment. I look forward to meeting you!